Who and Why

I began singing opera because of Violetta. Now, I am going meet her.

Friday, August 20, 2010

A DMA in Violetta

I first heard La Traviata when I was 17 years old. I was going to college as a voice major and heard all the Puccini operas, but no Verdi. A friend of mine gave me a highlights CD with Edita Gruberova as Violetta. All I can say is that it simultaneously scared the crap out of me and had me sitting in awe that a human voice could sing with so much grace, power, love and beauty. I made a promise to myself that one day, somehow, I would learn this role.

Fast-forward to present day, 15 years later (!). I have a BM and MM from 2 very prestigious music schools, I have had nodules removed, returned, and finally vanished by years of therapy and voice lessons from a wonderful teacher. I have been a secretary, a voice teacher, a waitress, and worked extensively in arts administration. I have sung various roles with small local NYC opera companies, given recitals and applied to go back to school to get my DMA. But Violetta, we never met...the CD is gone, the records dusty, the score forgotten amongst so many other scores.

I didn't get into a doctorate program. And, let's face it, I am not that professional singer I thought I would become. I am not upset about it. Life has given me so many other gifts that I could have never imagined recieving when I was 17 years old, let alone now. But, Violetta...I still want to meet her, now more then ever.

So, I like to think that this blog is both my love letter and dissertation to Violetta. The student can't be removed just because school doesn't want me. And I can't stop singing just because I am 33 years old and have no professional experience behind me. So, here I am! And, if you - reader- if there are any (or 1)- have any suggestions (no solicitations for lessons please) for books, techniques, recordings, personal struggles learning Violetta or any other role, please feel free to contact me and join me on this journey of meeting one of the most powerful and complex female characters of western civilization.

Now, let's meet her!

2 comments:

  1. Great book: Violetta and Her Sisters, now out of print but available used on Amazon. Even has a brief phone interview of Violetta by the real Dr. Ruth. Lots of contemporary poetry, non-fiction, etc. VERY useful for context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have this...it's been sitting on my bookshelf for years. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete