Who and Why

I began singing opera because of Violetta. Now, I am going meet her.

Sunday, September 12, 2010

AH vowel - It's VERY NICE to meet you!

I don't know what I did. Did I eat something different? Was my exercise regime perfectly balanced? Did I have a more restful sleep then usual? Was it the weather? My outfit? Because reader(s)...the ah vowel finally introduced itself to me.

It was probably a brief glimpse of something so illusive as couples being mindful of you walking behind them on a narrow NY city sidewalk. But it happened! The "ah" vowel acknowledged my existence and said, sure, go ahead, I won't get in your way...right after you.

This is what I did:
My warmup--
1. hum small penta-scales (1-5) on "mm"
2. sing "hung" on an octave, opened to "ah" on top and continued back down the scale in a slide (1-8-1)
3. 1 set of stacatto on oo, octave, arpeggio down (1-8-5-3-1)
4. 3 sets of above exercise in a row in my passaggio section (B-F above middle C)
5. Sang "e" on an octave, to a 9 note scale back down (1-8-7,8,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1)
6. In my passaggio range (B-F above middle c), 7 (leading tone) to octave (8), on e (7) to 00 (8), back down the scale (oo) and reverse (oo to ee); ah/oo; oo/oh; ay/e. So each vowel pours into the next.

Then... I sang Schumann (trumpets calling!). Glorious fantastically rich Schumann with a perfectly enhanced poem by Goethe (Wie, mit innigstem Behagen). Where each vowel matters and each phrase is crafted for perfect comprehension- so the singer doesn't have to "do" anything but sing the words. At first I was "SINGING" and then I told myself, what does each phrase and word mean? What are you trying to say...and I just sang it, as if I was speaking. Each vowel in it's place, gently caressed by each loving consonant.

And then I went to Handel. I don't like Handel..or, let me reverse that statement. Handel doesn't like me. I think he writes gorgeous music. And I love hearing his arias in concerts and at home on my CD player. But, for me to sing all those crazy long cadenzas, most in the middle of my range...it's absolute torture. It's like taking a 14 wheeler truck and trying to put it through a mouse- hole, it just never "fits". And I think it was because I didn't have any expectations...and I had such a wonderful warm-up with Schumann and really paying attention to each sound I make in my middle register (the Schumann piece is all within the staff, not usually where I like to sing). And, the fact I didn't "SING" it but just sang it. So, when it was time to sing "Qual Farfalletta" it was as if the ah vowel just showed up and we danced! We laughed! I ran around like a crazy women waving her arms for imaginary friends! And NO ONE was around! And I didn't have my computer with me to tape it! And I put it away..thinking, no, "Ah" is flirting with me. But, I coyly returned to Handel and I still sang with perfect ease. NO work! NO breathiness! NO mac-trucks! Perfect light easy phrases! It was magical and probably one of the best, if not BEST, practices I have ever had.

So, my family was in town for 2 days, so I haven't been able to reintroduce myself. I am crossing my fingers we will meet again. Because without "Ah"by my side, I won't even get Violetta to come to my door!

No comments:

Post a Comment