Who and Why

I began singing opera because of Violetta. Now, I am going meet her.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chicken or Egg Part II- Marinara Sauce

So, I am learning ACT III- taking in the text with the pronunciation with the music all at the same time and thinking- why was this so discouraged by everyone (teachers, coaches) before? This is so much easier and the other way (taking it all apart as 3 separate entities- notes, text, Italian) is clearly on the way to schizophrenia! If I were a cooking student, I would need to understand what garlic does, what onion does, the importance in the difference between canola oil and olive oil (if anyone knows- let me know!). But then, you mix it up and voila- you have an awesome base for marinara sauce.

For singing- it doesn't work this way.First, I am no longer a student. And yes, you need to know the notes, and then the rhythm with the notes, and how to pronounce Italian and then what that Italian means. But, when you put it together...well, a fantastic sauce doesn't always happen. Usually, in my experience, I have one pungent garlic clove and not enough olive oil. This, I am finding, is because as I speak Italian, I try so hard to speak it as an Italian. But then, while I am singing, well- it's not like speaking and I end up doing a disservice by trying to "fit" the vowels in the notes. Which is bad singing and frankly, very hard work. Or, if I have a specific phrase sung out in an ah- and then I have to stuff in all the tiny but specific ever-changing vowels with a consonant thrown in for good measure into a 16th note...well, there I go again re-figuring it all out to make it fit together, sound good, and make sense.

With this new approach- learning each note with it's designated vowel within the musical line- and what this musical line means both in Italian and in musical phrasing- well, you get that awesome base for marinara sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment