Who and Why

I began singing opera because of Violetta. Now, I am going meet her.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Cajones

On Friday night, I went to a lovely concert- everyone played perfectly, beautiful balanced classical music...perfect perfect perfect and boring boring bored.

They didn't play with their cajones.

Immediately juxtaposed in my mind was the royal wedding that was also "performed" last Friday. A perfect celebration and ceremony that left me misty-eyed. Why? I don't know these people! Yet, despite all pomp and circumstance and an extravagant show of wealth, I was moved to tears. I think the reason is that people look to royalty is so that they can see themselves as a perfect version of themselves. And I think classical music also does this same thing; the perfectness of it all is what we crave in this crazy society. But, we are all human beings and we shouldn't have to act castrated to be perfect! Prince William's behavior, by blushing, telling Kate she looked beautiful, Harry laughing, driving away in a convertible, etc. took an extremely high profile event and transformed it to a normal beautiful emotional wedding. They were human beings- perfect lovely laughing excited human beings- every detail perfectly executed and with emotion.

Now, take Mozart, and again- it's all in the details and making it "look easy". This group did exactly that. But there was no emotion to their performance. They were playing loud because Mozart said so- but they didn't think WHY he marked it thus. And Mozart- he was a randy guy. He liked to flirt with women- play into the give and take and flirticious (I just made that word up) courtly games. That is why his music is so delightful- there is a conversation with every phrase with humor interspersed throughout. But, this performance- no conversation, no courtly games, no cajones.


Violetta- well, you know where I am going with this and I think she has made me a better singer because I have to use my cajones. Not only because she is woman who desires, but for the simple reason that I have to engage my entire body to sing the wide range Verdi lays out for me. The breath has to be connected and what a better way to connect to your breath then with your cajones! Now, Verdi and Mozart are very different composers- but not really- they want the same thing. Verdi's Violetta is more obvious, but I bet if you took a time machine and met Mozart he would be more then happy with your "cajones enhanced" interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment