Who and Why

I began singing opera because of Violetta. Now, I am going meet her.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Origami- Between the (Vocal) Folds

I don't know what makes me more of a nerd- watching a documentary on origami or blogging about it? But, here I am- inspired by the strangest of crafts. One sheet of paper and the world is your oyster, or swan, or whatever you can come up with via the most minute of folding detail, and of course--it brings me to Violetta.

We are all born with our voice box. It is up to us how we shape it (fold it?), nurture it and let it be what it needs to be. But, with that comes much study, much technique, much head-banging and self doubt. Then, the light comes from out of the fog and something takes shape and eureka, you have found whatever it is you are looking for- without really knowing what it is until you are there! At least, this is what I am told as I am still at the head-banging part, but I digress.

With origami (yes, I am really sticking with this comparison!) comes much technique. Not only in the ability to fold teeny tiny corners to its perfect fold, but the ability to see the shape and then in creating it. This takes years of experience, trial and error, or nowadays- to some- the tainting of origami contests.

One of the newest crazes in the world of origami, according to this movie, is the ability to create the most complex shape with the least amount of folds. To some artisans, this ruins the organic nature of creation because origami becomes more about technique and less about the act of creation and paper folding. But, in support of the contests- one artist said that it takes years of technique to find one's art and that this art would have never been found without years of mastering one's technique.

I find that very interesting. In this day and age, art is highly regarded by those amazing technicians who are applauded for accomplishing amazing feats. But then, what do they bring to the music or painting or play? Just fireworks. However, they shouldn't be dismissed for not having any artistry because maybe it is through this vast dense study that will bring them to the other side- the eureka side. And shouldn't we nurture them to take that journey? Assuming they are brave enough to do so?

Which leads to me (well, it is my blog!)-- I have really good technique. Honest. It is one of the things I hear most from people. Man, your technique is solid! Really? Then, why am I blogging and not in a rehearsal room right now? I will tell you why- I cower in it. It's a safe place for me. I know what to expect in the maze of vocal questions- I am comfortable in the maze of vocal questions. The more difficult the music, the more I want to learn it because I am so happy being wrapped up in questions. For me, technique has become so much about finding answers that I forget to just sing. But maybe I should just fold the paper, take a step back, not try to create and just see what (ready to be cheezed out)...lies between the vocal folds!

No comments:

Post a Comment