Who and Why

I began singing opera because of Violetta. Now, I am going meet her.

Friday, December 30, 2011

10,000 hours

While I hurt my eye (See back a few posts)- I decided to FINALLY listen to "Tipping Point" on my ipod; a wonderful book by Malcolm Gladwell that my fiance downloaded as he can multitask and listen and work at the same time. I cannot- and I was on my way to DC for the holidays- and I couldn't read- so...here we are back to "Tipping Point"

The book is about why successful people are successful. And it's not only because of hard work, or luck, or a trust fund, or all those reasons one immediately thinks of when people think of success. It's a combination of all of these- luck included (apparently, the decade you were born makes a significant contribution). And- hard work- well, it's all about how many hours you put into your craft and it seems that 10,000 hours is the magic number. So, I did some calculating, and I have approximately 8,500 hours in singing- those 5 years of vocal damage really did do me in. That, and needing to work to eat. In artistic administration? The job I was doing to support my singing career? Exactly 10,000 hours.

Holy f8k# Damn!

No comments:

Post a Comment