Who and Why

I began singing opera because of Violetta. Now, I am going meet her.

Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Second Act

On Monday, I was asked to participate in a "live lecture" where I sing some arias and then discuss the art of being a singer. The audience are all adults- folks who go to the opera and want to learn more about it- not students. Thank god! Because, if there were students- I would say "run to the hills!" Which, is completely unfair....and kept me silent among my other singers performing that day.

One of whom is a beautifully voiced soprano. She has been auditioning for 3 years with little luck and I can't for the life think of why. And she asks me this same question (and I am sure she asks her teacher, I am sure everyone) and my response was to just throw up my hands. And I thought: Holy Shit! I have now turned the corner...I used to be the one asking those questions and they would respond with throwing up their hands!

It's just such a sad state of affairs. This business is so hard...and the allure is so strong to keep going. And it comes from everywhere- if not society (try hard = success, follow your dream!), guilt (I have 2 degrees in this!), the music itself (I CAN sing this stuff so why should I stop?). And when someone asks you- well, why did you stop and how are you managing not singing as your "dream"... I answer:

I had no choice. I had to eat. It's not fair, but then there comes a time in one's life when it's time to find out what else you are good at so you can eat- and be happy with how you came to eat. And it is possible.

But you can't tell someone in the middle of it...you just throw up your hands-- like all those folks did with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment